Malawi Unroasted-Coffee Expectations
Enjoyed as a medium roast it produces a silky smooth coffee with a great finish, stone fruit notes and wonderful hints of chocolate and hazelnuts. These Malawi coffee beans come from coffee plantations bordering Tanzania, on the majestic Misuku Hills of Malawi south of the Equator in Africa. Malawi AAA Mzuzu coffee beans are processed to the highest standards at Malawi village washing stations, where they are laid out to dry in the African sun, before they are sent to the central hulling and sorting plant in the capital city, Blantyre.
- Varietals: Gesha ( Geisha ), Nyika
- Altitude: 1,300 – 2,000 Meters Above Sea Level
- Soil: Clay minerals
- Processing: Fully Washed and Sundried
- Harvest: June – August
- Regions: Chitipa and Mzimba Districts in the Northern region of Malawi
Malawi Unroasted-Coffee Processing
Coffee is wet processed (washed) and hand-sorted to ensure ripe berries are classed together in the grading of the final product.
Malawi Unroasted-Coffee Gradings
Malawi cultivates specialty coffees in their AAA and AA grades.
- AAA/ AA: Specialty coffee
- PB: Peaberry
These are further classified in a group,
- Fully Washed (FW)
Malawi Coffee Cupping Notes
Malawi coffee is smooth and full-bodied, pear sweetness with hints of tropical fruit and lime, bright, sweetly balanced wine-like acidity, smooth body, orange, sweet, berry jam, Lemon, molasses, clean, tropical fruit, complex, soft finish.
- Roast Aroma: Red wine, corn syrup, bread.
- Dry Aroma: Sweet, caramel, tropical fruit, orange, vanilla, cream, bakers chocolate, spice.
- Brewed Aroma: Sweet, orange, spice, cocoa, jasmine